In 1920, the parish priest of Marawila, Rev. Fr. Ferdinand Thiri decided to place a cross in the cemetery in the midst of a flourishing coconut estate, a 100 yards west of the sea. The cross has been washed off or weathered due to salty sea breezes, sunlight or rain. In 1947 there was a disease similar to a skin rash spreading along the coastal villages. A mother, who could not bear to see her child in agony and pain due to the wounds, prostrated herself at the feet of the Holy Cross and pleaded for a cure. Suddenly she was inspired to bring a bucket of water. She washed the feet of Our Lord in the Crucifix and bathed the child with that water. She made the child drink the water too. The following day the child was totally healed. She spread the news of the miraculous cure and people flocked around and petitioned for the healing of their sick and put water or oil on the feet of Our Lord, applied it on the body and experienced healing. Ever since, the devotees were strengthened with faith in the Holy Cross. When plagued by incurable disease, the people went to the shrine to plead for a cure.